ERASVUS+ – “EU opportunities for RAising Skills through Volunteering of Unengaged Seniors“
Project n. 2020-1-IT02-KA204-079211083036
ERASVUS+ aimed at creating a space for bringing together different generations to discuss and promote European volunteering opportunities for senior citizens.
Thanks to an intergenerational approach, some young people shared their experience as EU volunteers (in programs like EVS, European Solidarity Corps, EuropeAid,…), while the seniors gave them back their great wealth of experience and their specific knowledge.
The project objectives
ERASVUS+ aimed at reaching the following OBJECTIVES:
- To contribute to the development of competences of the educators and staff members working with adults, specifically with the over-50s
- To create new opportunities for learning for the over-50s, through European mobilities for volunteering (LTTAs)
- To establish a network of European Institutions cooperating in the education of seniors.
Download our publication: EUROPEAN SENIOR VOLUNTEERING GUIDELINES
The ESV Guidelines document, the final output of the ERASVUS project, is a vademecum for designing and implementing senior volunteering activities based on intergenerational approach.
View our guidebook in flipbook format here.
Testimonials from the seniors and staff/volunteers involved in the project.
Volunteering is an active expression of civic participation that helps in strengthening the common EU values such us solidarity and social cohesion. The final report on Volunteering in the European Union (2018) shows that the highest number of volunteers are detected among adults aged between 30-50 y.o.
But what happens with 50+ generation?
Senior citizens are an important part of the European society, culture and lives and their experience could be an added value to any local and/or international project for civic participation. So, how can be ensured that these citizens are socially included and can enjoy their rights as EU citizens? How to give them new and more stimulating learning opportunities at European level?
The over-50s need to feel engaged in civil society organizations and volunteering activities, as they need to feel useful for the growth of their society. Their huge wealth of experience can’t be lost, but must be valorized as the engine for future successful initiatives for social development, an incredible resource for the whole community.
The target group
- STAFF MEMBERS (coordinators/tutors/educators/facilitators/trainers) with specific expertise, daily working in senior education, non formal education, European Citizenship education, intergenerational learning, integral expression activities, on a professional or volunteering basis.
- UNENGAGED SENIOR LEARNERS (over 50s) attended the LTTAs together with the staff members.
The volunteers, after their mobilities, were engaged in the sending organizations as MENTORS, supporting the preparation of the next over-50s who would take part to another blended mobility within the project and/or to other future similar initiatives, after the ERASVUS+ completion.
- Fattoria Pugliese Diffusa APS (Italy)
- EDUPLUS Association (Spain)
- Universidad de Castilla- La Mancha (Spain)
- Hungarian Association for Expressive Arts and Dance Therapy (Hungary)
Learn more at: erasmuspluswebsite.wixsite.com/erasvus
… and follow up on the project’s Facebook page: facebook.com/erasvusplus
The European Commission’s support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents, which reflect the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.